Monday, April 9, 2012

Crunch

During a shift at my high school fast food job I was taking out the garbage and there was a really good view of the whole restaurant.  This family came in and it looked like they had been travelling for quite a while on the road because they had that walking zombie thing going on.  They had this super cute little girl with them who looked like she was about five or six and she had these perfect little curls and was wearing a lacy white dress and was all made up.  I guess they had just stopped to use the restroom because they didn't go up to the front.  A lot of people do that.  I always feel guilty using the bathroom somewhere if I don't at least go buy a drink or something.  I dunno. 

Anyway, so this family is walking to the restroom at the end of the building and the little girl's curls are all bouncy and cute and this family is all clean cut with the perfect kids when all of a sudden the mom is taking the little girl into the women's restroom and the dad calls out to the little girl right when they are in the doorway and the little girl stops in the door frame and the mom somehow loses her balance turning around and grabs the handle to the restroom door to try and regain her balance.  The girl has her arm right by the door and I see this perfect tiny child's arm just absolutely destroyed.  I ran over when I heard the scream and as soon as I get there and this poor kid's arm is just limply hanging there with the bone poking out through the skin.  Her white dress was just soaked in blood and it was one of the scariest things I had ever seen. 

The dad asked where the nearest hospital was and I told him where and before I could say anything else to them or my manager they whisked the little girl and her hysterical brother and mom to the car and sped out of the parking lot.  There was blood all over the place and my manager was freaking out.  We cleaned it all up, but the rest of the shift everyone was super quiet.  For the next few days I couldn't help but think about what happened to the girl and wondered if everything worked out alright.

But then ten years later I am sitting here typing this out and thinking to myself, "Well I guess that's what you get for just trying to go in and use the bathroom without paying for anything." 

I am a bad person.

No comments:

Post a Comment